THE COST OF NEGLIGENCE




THE COST OF NEGLIGENCE

By October 2011, I was already a mini-celebrity, at least among my peers. I had flown to Abuja a number of times representing the state, I had been to Netherlands and the United Kingdom, I had a digital Camera I bought in Scotland (digital cameras weren't this common then), my phone was Nokia E75 (then it was sold for #30,000 and only few kids and parents could boast of using a phone that costly then) and I had won plenty competitions (Debate, quiz, essay and math). So in the simplest terms, I was a big boy then and it expectedly got into my head without my notice.


Within that period, I represented Ebonyi state at the President's schools debate Championship (south east zone). Beyond my popularity, I was so conspicuously the best Speaker who attended. Everyone wanted to be my friend or at least get an opportunity to eat at my table and it worsened my pride, I treated people like trash. Enugu state was represented by students who looked fresh and rich, their uniforms were intimidating. They had powerful phones but of course I had mine, they had digital cameras and I had mine so it wasn't a big deal for me. I naively concluded that their packaging was courtesy of Enugu state government.

Soon the Tournament ended and as expected I emerged champion and best Speaker; my teammates were awesome speakers too. Before departure, Team Enugu (made up only girls, a number of whom I had plausible reasons to conclude they a crush on me) approached me and very humbly asked for my contact, and I very proudly declined. After all, in my childish mind, celebrities don't give out their contacts anyhow. We parted ways and upon getting home, I got the shocker of my life.



When I told my elder brother the name of the school which represented Enugu state, he screamed and the first thing he asked me was "I hope you collected their contacts" and I surprisingly asked "why". I discovered that they came from a school fit for only kids of Governors, Senators, Business tycoons etc. As at the time we met, my termly school fees was twelve thousand naira while theirs was four hundred thousand naira, which amounts to 1.6 million naira per academic session. Their tuition for one high school session would very comfortably pay my tuition till masters degree level. It then dawned me that I just snubbed friendship out of billionaire kids. Ewoooooo! Crying things activated😭. I went on Facebook and I patiently searched for them by picture, not even by name because I didn't care to know, I was that patient😂, but of course it didn't work out. Chai I just missed Friends who can collectively cough out five million without noticing it. If I had known ehn, I won't waste their crush. I would even date four of them because it's not fair for them to be single 😂😂.

Though in regret, I had learnt seven crucial lessons the hard way, thus:
1. Everyone God causes you to meet is important
.
2. Greatness is not written on the face. I can look less Ezeme Kingsley when you meet me outside Facebook.

3. No matter what you think you have achieved, there is still room for humility.

4. You may be richer or more popular than your destiny helper, but as inferior as they may seem, a contact from them is all the connection you need.

5. The greatest asset you have are people, don't joke with relationships.

6. In all circumstances, humility will do more for you than pride and complacency.

7. Every occasion is an opportunity for you to impact into someone's life. You never know how they will pay you back.

I'm certain Goodluck Jonathan once had classmates or Friends who treated him like trash, they never knew that one day he would be their Governor and eventually their president. Same as Dangote, Mark Zuckerberg, Craze clown, Lionel Messi, Bishop Oyedepo etc. Every great man you see now has someone who says "I once met him, he used to be my friend or classmate" but whom can no longer access because they were blind to their potentials.

I'm currently living for free in a fully furnished contemporary flat with holistic supply, and all because of someone I met while debating. National Service year has never been better.

Every living human is important, build your relationships!

One more thing, hold me tight!

© Ezeme Kingsley Chukwuebuka

#JesusAddictK

Comments

Unknown said…
This is Educating
Anonymous said…
Hahaha serves you right. Experience isn't always the best teacher. Thanks for sharing
Bright said…
"Humility will do more for you than pride under any circumstance"
Thanks for sharing boss.

Popular posts from this blog

A world without envy and strife

THREE MEETINGS OF LIFE AND YOU

WHAT IS YOUR SELLING POINT?